Skip to main content

Walking

                  Do you have an activity that gives you joy irrespective of your frame of mind? Yes, fantastic! No? Get one! Fortunately, I have one. An activity that is such a great stress buster. It does not need anything. You just need to get out of your house. Just go on and on, without looking back. Yes, the activity I am referring to is walking.  

                  My mom goes walking, my dad goes walking, my grandparents walk whenever they can. Almost everyone in my family has a reliable mode of transport: walking. As a kid, I used to love walking at night, with my family. As I write this, I am getting pretty nostalgic about those moments. Heck, the number of times I used to meet some friends who reminded me of some homework to be submitted the next day, and I forgot about it, and going home to finish it!  

                  In college, I used to walk all the time. The length and breadth of our campus pretty much forced us to! But I used to enjoy it. Mostly with friends, but sometimes alone as well. I had no qualms about being alone. Just put on earphones, play some soothing music, and go! So easy, so refreshing, so rewarding. 

                  They say old habits die hard. When I was in Malaysia for my internship, we used to stay in a complex which was built around a golf resort. A proper international level 19 hole course. I used to go walking on the course in the evening after coming back from office. I was so obsessed with this seemingly easy but brilliant exercise, I used to go back home drenched in sweat and rain, but totally satisfied. Walking on the grass was not allowed, but we used to do it anyway. You just had to remove your shoes, and calmly walk on the soft, dewy grass, and at once you would forget all your troubles, and enjoy the surroundings. Man, I miss those days so badly! 

                  In Hyderabad though, I couldn’t walk much. The place I stay doesn’t have any parks or playgrounds. There are just wide roads with a lot of traffic. There is one campus though, but too small for my liking. But I just got tired of doing nothing, and decided to walk anyway. When I do go, I walk for 5 kilometers or so. Sometimes, 7 kilometers. But at the night. For some unfathomable reason, I cannot go in the morning. Even at night I am irregular.  

                  I absolutely envy people who begin their day on such a fantastic note. I admit it shamelessly. Just think of this scenario: Walking on grass at 5:30 in the morning, birds chirping, the sun just coming out, no pollution, a cool breeze, and warm music. Ah! I just hope the people who do go regularly, keep it up. Maybe one fine day, I too will go with them, and enjoy.  

                  I almost forgot the biggest advantage of walking: the time you get to think, to reflect, to introspect! This time is just absolutely invaluable in my opinion. Countless times, whenever I felt sad or angry or confused or distraught, I just took a walk, saw my troubles vanish away for the time being, and felt so relaxed. What beats this? 

                  These very thoughts would not have been possible had I not taken a walk yesterday. So, now I am crediting the walk to remind me to write about walking! Here's to more walks and more joy! A walk to remember.(Nope, I haven't seen the movie :P ) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie review: English Vinglish

I might be 6 years late, but here is my review of this Bollywood movie, starring Sridevi. Directed by Gauri Shinde, this film tackles some This film is freakin' awesome! I can't believe I hadn't watched this movie before. And if you haven't watched it, I suggest you clear out your calendar for tomorrow and grab some popcorn. This is mostly a serious movie, but the lighter moments are well placed, and make great viewing. The plot, the dialogues, the screenplay, everything is perfect. This movie is worth paying big bucks to watch on the big screen, unlike me, who watched it 6 years late on a 14 inch touchscreen. Sridevi is absolutely mesmerizing. Her acting in this movie is one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. When you watch her, her struggles become yours. You feel her happiness and sadness. You want her to do well. You want her to show the world, how much she can accomplish. Anything more I say here will be spoilers for the few people w

Going home, Pune trip and more

                Hola! Long time since I wrote anything, and here I am writing two posts. With so much happening, I have barely had time to breathe, least of all write a blog. Even today I just found time, because I am in a train, bound towards Kalyan, taking me away from Hyderabad for a deserved break from the mundane.                 I had to make an extremely difficult choice, one that I did not want to nor that agrees with my nature. But facing the truth is better than being under a delusion, only to be disappointed at the end. I cannot give keyboard exam this time. L (Sobbing inside) I am just too underprepared, and frankly, I have heavier things on my plate. The teacher thought 3 months would be enough, even I felt so. But it wasn’t meant to be. The exam comes too early for me, and I, despite wanting to, cannot practice and perfect the syllabus on time to pass the exam. Accepting this is really painful for me, especially when I don’t like giving up. What other choice do I h

New year resolutions

Belated happy new year! It is the time of the year where people set goals and targets for the year. Most fall short by the first or second month. Even I do. But my last year's resolutions were actually so good, I accomplished what I set out for: learn 2 foreign languages, Italian and French. At a basic level, but yeah, enough to survive. And some other goals too, which I did achieve satisfactorily. So what next? I have some resolutions this year too! Let me share some: Get better at piano This is compulsory. No two ways about this. For the past few months, I have become a little distant from the piano. But not anymore. I already started learning a song, one that is usually on my lips! The joy I derive from playing the piano, even if for little time, is very immense. And I already feel better. There is something magical about learning music, and at any cost, I do not want to disconnect from it. Do I have a plan? Umm… no. I have a new piano on my mind, but that depen