Skip to main content

Badminton tournament

The company I work for had planned to organize a badminton tournament across all formats: men's singles, women's singles, mixed doubles, men's doubles and women's' doubles. Naturally I was excited. I mean, who wouldn’t be? Not that I am a great player, but this was an opportunity to just play and have some fun.  

I had registered for the doubles event. I was not confident I would be able to play singles. Man, singles is so damn hard! I tried playing singles against a good player, and he comfortably steamrollered me. Needless to say, then and there I decided to not play singles. 

But doubles is a totally different story. The space you need to cover is effectively halved. The responsibility is halved. There are more spaces to attack. There are more targets to smash. I am a much better doubles player than singles. Anyway, for the men's doubles, I had registered with one of my friends. He is much more of an attacker than me, and on his day, is quite good. Scary good. If he was on song for the tournament, we would have stood a chance against the best of our company. I am primarily a defender. My drop shots are good, my shots are precise. But oddly, I have the tendency to make silly mistakes, especially while playing with this guy. I don’t know why, but it happens. I have played TT doubles with him as well, so I know his instincts better. I may be marginally better than him at badminton, and if we clicked we would have been semi finalists easily. But if we didn’t we would have failed to give a good account of ourselves. Which is my worst fear. So I wasn’t entirely confident about our chances. I mean, it is the type of confidence, which you have on the day, when things are going for you.  

Mixed doubles is a super story. Man, I was so confident about this format, since we had this in our bag. Me and my partner have played a lot of games together, and against each other as well. I knew my partner's strengths and weaknesses perfectly. She lacked a little physical prowess, but more than made up for it by her athleticism. The first time I saw her athleticism I was quite surprised. I mean, I did not expect her to be so good. (I thought, at that time, we were all beginners!) Anyway, we had something else in common: we never gave up. Both of us. I am likely to chase seemingly lost causes, and return those shots, much to the dismay of my opponents. But the fact that someone other than me also shares my style of play was quite endearing. I knew if we clicked on the day, (we usually did) we can beat most opposition. Maybe even make the finals. Maybe, maybe win the damn thing. I was confident we had it in us. Which is quite rare, in my opinion. 

So what happened on matchday? Nothing. There was no matchday. The organizers cancelled it! I was so furious! How can they cancel a whole event? Postponing was fine, but cancellation? Seriously? Are you freaking kidding me? And when I asked the people who knew the reasons, and they said, "We didn’t get the court, so we decided to cancel." What a lame response! I, for one, did not believe this. Maybe there was a genuine reason at the time, but surely they could have postponed it instead of cancelling? None of the other games got cancelled. Cricket went ahead despite inclement weather. Badminton is indoor, so why not proceed ahead? This may have sounded like a rant. But the thing is I was very, very excited to play at a badminton tournament, and it got cancelled. Probably just my frustration.  :(

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie review: English Vinglish

I might be 6 years late, but here is my review of this Bollywood movie, starring Sridevi. Directed by Gauri Shinde, this film tackles some This film is freakin' awesome! I can't believe I hadn't watched this movie before. And if you haven't watched it, I suggest you clear out your calendar for tomorrow and grab some popcorn. This is mostly a serious movie, but the lighter moments are well placed, and make great viewing. The plot, the dialogues, the screenplay, everything is perfect. This movie is worth paying big bucks to watch on the big screen, unlike me, who watched it 6 years late on a 14 inch touchscreen. Sridevi is absolutely mesmerizing. Her acting in this movie is one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. When you watch her, her struggles become yours. You feel her happiness and sadness. You want her to do well. You want her to show the world, how much she can accomplish. Anything more I say here will be spoilers for the few people w

Going home, Pune trip and more

                Hola! Long time since I wrote anything, and here I am writing two posts. With so much happening, I have barely had time to breathe, least of all write a blog. Even today I just found time, because I am in a train, bound towards Kalyan, taking me away from Hyderabad for a deserved break from the mundane.                 I had to make an extremely difficult choice, one that I did not want to nor that agrees with my nature. But facing the truth is better than being under a delusion, only to be disappointed at the end. I cannot give keyboard exam this time. L (Sobbing inside) I am just too underprepared, and frankly, I have heavier things on my plate. The teacher thought 3 months would be enough, even I felt so. But it wasn’t meant to be. The exam comes too early for me, and I, despite wanting to, cannot practice and perfect the syllabus on time to pass the exam. Accepting this is really painful for me, especially when I don’t like giving up. What other choice do I h

New year resolutions

Belated happy new year! It is the time of the year where people set goals and targets for the year. Most fall short by the first or second month. Even I do. But my last year's resolutions were actually so good, I accomplished what I set out for: learn 2 foreign languages, Italian and French. At a basic level, but yeah, enough to survive. And some other goals too, which I did achieve satisfactorily. So what next? I have some resolutions this year too! Let me share some: Get better at piano This is compulsory. No two ways about this. For the past few months, I have become a little distant from the piano. But not anymore. I already started learning a song, one that is usually on my lips! The joy I derive from playing the piano, even if for little time, is very immense. And I already feel better. There is something magical about learning music, and at any cost, I do not want to disconnect from it. Do I have a plan? Umm… no. I have a new piano on my mind, but that depen