Skip to main content

2015 year review

Here we go. Wednesday night. Let’s write. It is the 23rd and 24th of December of 2015. Last one week of this year. It has been a year with some ups and downs (well, which year isn’t?) It has been an enjoyable ride for sure.

This year began with it being the last semester of college. It created a very different atmosphere in our hostel. People were placed or were getting placed all over the place. We were happy for each other but also sad that the joy ride that was college was coming to an end. When the roller coaster goes up, you get a rush of adrenaline. But when the ride comes to a halt, you do not have the same feeling. I’m unable to express that feeling in words here (Help me!). We enjoyed the time we spent together, not knowing what is going to happen next.

After being done with the education phase of my life (I hope I resume it sometime in the future, don’t tell my manager!), I started with the next phase. I landed a job at a company not many people knew (not that I care, I am merely pointing out an observation) and completed my probation period successfully and became a “permanent” employee. I have met a lot of new and interesting people and made new friends. My work life has actually been a very smooth sail. Sometimes I wonder, has it been too easy? Have I done anything that comes close to being a challenge? The honest answer here would be a flat NO. I have not learned anything new technically. I want to (believe me) but my job is not presenting me with opportunities to learn something new. The good thing is I get paid for the work I do for them. At least it is not a complete waste of time.

Interests
                The second half of 2015 has been particularly rewarding in this matter. Since I started doing only stuff that I enjoyed, I spend my time in a more diverse manner. I feel rejuvenated with all the hobbies I’m pursuing. I resumed learning keyboard from 7 years ago; a decision which I feel was one of the best I have taken in the past year. It has been 5 months, and I am at the basics still, but I can play some songs and actually appreciate music on another level.

                There isn’t much to add about reading. I have continued to read a lot of novels, articles, blogs, and more recently poetry. My company has a library service, which I use very well. It is actually quite enjoyable to read someone’s blog posts. Just read some of their posts from the past and some from recent times. It gives you a sense of how much their life has changed and how they have coped up with it. (How wonderful would it be to read the sentences they typed and then deleted before posting?)
               
                I always wanted to learn a foreign language besides English. I was presented with a chance and a purpose to learn one in 2014, but I dunno what happened then. I started but couldn’t keep going. Now I have rekindled my interest in learning languages. I first started learning Italian. I think Italian is the easiest of the Latin rooted languages. I finished the Duolingo course with relative ease and I am now at a level where I understand basic conversation in Italian. I can understand what topic is trending on the radio. I’m actually proud of myself, to be fair. It required a discipline I never thought was possible from me. Well, I have managed to surprise myself! Not my first time anyway. I enjoyed the experience so much that I started learning another language, French. It is not very rosy here, I’m afraid. Too difficult to pronounce and too confusing words are hindering progress. But hey, let me not let that stop me. I will try and learn as much as I can. I currently know 6 languages (pretty impressive, I know) and counting.

                I did not always want to write. I am a reader, not a writer,at least that's what I used to think. But what do I know? Writing has become a habit only recently and I am thankful for it. Without an example and a role model, I probably wouldn’t have started it. Still these are early days and let us see where it takes us. I am going to continue writing though (however you find them).

                I want to learn cooking though. I am not exactly a novice, but not any good either. I would like to get better though. Sunday nights are for experimentation. Cooking comes only by practice and nothing else. Let’s do this.


                It turns out I was wasting time in stuff I wasn’t really interested in. So I simply gave up doing them and found more time (and more joy). One of them is Facebook. I am not really a fan of social media and Facebook is not for me. I use it for birthdays and that’s about it. Done with FB. So is the case with movies. I don’t know why I was never attracted to movies, and still am not attracted to them. I only watch movies in theaters once in a month or so. No more trailers and related stuff. I find that boring and have discontinued it.

I have actually improved discipline wise and productivity wise. Good for me I guess. Not that I focus on it too much. It just happens. There is a lot of stuff I could improve upon too. There are skills no one else seems to suck at, but I do. So I guess I could put some effort into them.

There have also been disappointments and losses et cetera et cetera. It has not always been a smooth year. I haven’t always been the good guy and I’m not really proud of those moments. But I try to take positives from them and move on. Bygones will be bygones.

Few friendships last the tests of distance and time and I am fortunate enough to have some. I really cherish them and without them I wouldn’t be the person who I am today. I express my sincere gratitude to them and I hope that they continue for a long time. I also thank my family very much. Thank you to all the new people I have met, you guys have all been very good to me and I look forward to becoming good friends with you people.

2015 has been a good year and I hope 2016 betters it.

                    Arrivederci 2015! Ciao, 2016! See you next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie review: English Vinglish

I might be 6 years late, but here is my review of this Bollywood movie, starring Sridevi. Directed by Gauri Shinde, this film tackles some This film is freakin' awesome! I can't believe I hadn't watched this movie before. And if you haven't watched it, I suggest you clear out your calendar for tomorrow and grab some popcorn. This is mostly a serious movie, but the lighter moments are well placed, and make great viewing. The plot, the dialogues, the screenplay, everything is perfect. This movie is worth paying big bucks to watch on the big screen, unlike me, who watched it 6 years late on a 14 inch touchscreen. Sridevi is absolutely mesmerizing. Her acting in this movie is one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. When you watch her, her struggles become yours. You feel her happiness and sadness. You want her to do well. You want her to show the world, how much she can accomplish. Anything more I say here will be spoilers for the few people w

Going home, Pune trip and more

                Hola! Long time since I wrote anything, and here I am writing two posts. With so much happening, I have barely had time to breathe, least of all write a blog. Even today I just found time, because I am in a train, bound towards Kalyan, taking me away from Hyderabad for a deserved break from the mundane.                 I had to make an extremely difficult choice, one that I did not want to nor that agrees with my nature. But facing the truth is better than being under a delusion, only to be disappointed at the end. I cannot give keyboard exam this time. L (Sobbing inside) I am just too underprepared, and frankly, I have heavier things on my plate. The teacher thought 3 months would be enough, even I felt so. But it wasn’t meant to be. The exam comes too early for me, and I, despite wanting to, cannot practice and perfect the syllabus on time to pass the exam. Accepting this is really painful for me, especially when I don’t like giving up. What other choice do I h

New year resolutions

Belated happy new year! It is the time of the year where people set goals and targets for the year. Most fall short by the first or second month. Even I do. But my last year's resolutions were actually so good, I accomplished what I set out for: learn 2 foreign languages, Italian and French. At a basic level, but yeah, enough to survive. And some other goals too, which I did achieve satisfactorily. So what next? I have some resolutions this year too! Let me share some: Get better at piano This is compulsory. No two ways about this. For the past few months, I have become a little distant from the piano. But not anymore. I already started learning a song, one that is usually on my lips! The joy I derive from playing the piano, even if for little time, is very immense. And I already feel better. There is something magical about learning music, and at any cost, I do not want to disconnect from it. Do I have a plan? Umm… no. I have a new piano on my mind, but that depen