Skip to main content

2017 review


It is the end of 2017, and I have had a colorful melange of a year. Things went north, south, east west, and some didn’t even move! This was the first year I took a few new year resolutions, and even worked towards them. I traveled far and near, met a lot of people(by my "lofty" standards) and learnt a lot of things. The Ambarish of 2018 will be very different from the 2017 version.

 

Let me review my 2017 resolutions, and where I stand:

  1. Get better at piano: Sadly this hasn’t happened. Mostly due to lack of time, I didn’t even touch my keyboard for the past few months. I have a lot of other important stuff on my plate now, and keyboard was the first to be put on the back burner.
  2. Write more: Yes! I wrote more, and not only did I write more, I also thought more. I put more effort into each and every blog post. Heck, I even wrote poetry. I have an idea for a detective novel, and I am building the characters in my head. Writing has given me joy, and I am getting addicted to it. Maybe I could have published more stuff on Medium. But I wrote whatever I could, and I am satisfied with this. I'll try to write more, and get more feedback for my content. I found a few other blogs, and a few friends of mine who blog, so I am not short of motivation.
  3. Talk more: This is the one I dreaded at the start of last year, and I continue to flinch. I realized the need to talk more, and to more people, but instead I have gone to talk less and to fewer people. A few people around me know my struggles, but the rest of the world is blissfully clueless. I'm disappointed that I didn't even put enough effort. How can I expect anything, when I haven't done enough to warrant a result? Late in this year though, I started to mingle with a few more people, which meant that I cut out the previous ones. This is one resolution that gets copy pasted onto 2018.
  4. Get in shape: Done! I am in better shape, than in 2016. People who called me invisible, can no longer call me that. Seriously though, I have corrected my weight, and am in much better health. The effects of going to the gym include not getting sick frequently(touch wood), and a healthy lifestyle.

 

I had a few great days:

February 5th 2017: Marina beach with family, with no care in the world. An evening well spent.

June 25th, 2017: Climbed Patalsu, walked around 20 kilometers that day, without breaking a sweat. Man, I'm incredibly fit!

August 6th, 2017: A long walk, cake, badminton, great dinner, and family over the phone. A great day.

August 31st, 2017: An amazing evening spent with one of my best friends in Hyderabad.

September 9th and 10th 2017: Trek with unknown people, in the rain, on slippery soil, and awesome antakshari. I'll remember it because I generally won't do such a thing, but there you go.

October 28th 2017: I made my parents' 25th wedding anniversary all the more special by celebrating it with some close people, plus my cousin's incredible gift made our day!

 

There were probably a few other days, which were great, but I'll keep them to myself. There were a few days where I didn’t feel like myself. Days where nothing seemed to go right. Days where there was no fault of mine, yet I was blamed. Days where I felt suffocated, stifled, and gasping desperately for breath. The good and the bad days moulded me into the Ambarish for 2018, which is now better equipped to handle such situations. I am reluctantly thankful for those days.

 

I look forward to 2018, and whatever it has in store for me. Great people, places and events, I hope. I hope I do well on my resolutions, to be perfectly honest. I wish a lot of good things happen to some really close people, and hope 2018 is bountiful to them. I hope I become a better human being, first and foremost. I hope 2018 is magnanimous to you, kind reader.

I'll write about my 2018 wishes in a different post. 

Let us end 2017 on a high, and welcome 2k18 with great gusto!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie review: English Vinglish

I might be 6 years late, but here is my review of this Bollywood movie, starring Sridevi. Directed by Gauri Shinde, this film tackles some This film is freakin' awesome! I can't believe I hadn't watched this movie before. And if you haven't watched it, I suggest you clear out your calendar for tomorrow and grab some popcorn. This is mostly a serious movie, but the lighter moments are well placed, and make great viewing. The plot, the dialogues, the screenplay, everything is perfect. This movie is worth paying big bucks to watch on the big screen, unlike me, who watched it 6 years late on a 14 inch touchscreen. Sridevi is absolutely mesmerizing. Her acting in this movie is one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. When you watch her, her struggles become yours. You feel her happiness and sadness. You want her to do well. You want her to show the world, how much she can accomplish. Anything more I say here will be spoilers for the few people w

Going home, Pune trip and more

                Hola! Long time since I wrote anything, and here I am writing two posts. With so much happening, I have barely had time to breathe, least of all write a blog. Even today I just found time, because I am in a train, bound towards Kalyan, taking me away from Hyderabad for a deserved break from the mundane.                 I had to make an extremely difficult choice, one that I did not want to nor that agrees with my nature. But facing the truth is better than being under a delusion, only to be disappointed at the end. I cannot give keyboard exam this time. L (Sobbing inside) I am just too underprepared, and frankly, I have heavier things on my plate. The teacher thought 3 months would be enough, even I felt so. But it wasn’t meant to be. The exam comes too early for me, and I, despite wanting to, cannot practice and perfect the syllabus on time to pass the exam. Accepting this is really painful for me, especially when I don’t like giving up. What other choice do I h

New year resolutions

Belated happy new year! It is the time of the year where people set goals and targets for the year. Most fall short by the first or second month. Even I do. But my last year's resolutions were actually so good, I accomplished what I set out for: learn 2 foreign languages, Italian and French. At a basic level, but yeah, enough to survive. And some other goals too, which I did achieve satisfactorily. So what next? I have some resolutions this year too! Let me share some: Get better at piano This is compulsory. No two ways about this. For the past few months, I have become a little distant from the piano. But not anymore. I already started learning a song, one that is usually on my lips! The joy I derive from playing the piano, even if for little time, is very immense. And I already feel better. There is something magical about learning music, and at any cost, I do not want to disconnect from it. Do I have a plan? Umm… no. I have a new piano on my mind, but that depen