Skip to main content

Coorg trip

A state holiday comes on a Friday, and we pass up the opportunity to go somewhere? No chance. After a lot of plan changes, we went to Coorg, one of the smaller hill stations of Karnataka. We meaning, me, Brilliant, Kid, Enigma and Beautiful. Bangalore is so lucky that it has so many hill stations and sightseeing places nearby. The story of Coorg is quite funny. After booking tickets to Bangalore and securing an Innova for 3 days, we had the liberty to choose a destination. Ooty or Coorg? It went down to the wire, and was eventually decided by the non-availability of a state permit. Thus, Coorg became our host for the 3 days.

Bangalore, or Bengaluru now, to Coorg is a very beautiful 5 hour drive via Mysore, or Mysuru now. Man, every city is renaming itself, what is up huh? Anyway, we stopped at a restaurant in Mysuru for lunch. I have been to Mysore before, and I still cannot believe how green the city is! Kudos to Mysore, for keeping the city clean and green. A few minutes later, we left for Coorg.

Day 1 17:30, Rajah's Seat:
The first of what Coorg had to offer. A toy train first, and then a beautiful view of the valley. And couple that with sunset, and you have every person trying to capture a click. We did capture a LOT of pics there. I mostly took photos when the others weren't looking. I feel this is the best way, this captures the essence of every person enjoying himself/ herself. One thing became clear though: Enigma likes to pose, and a lot of photos taken of her! After the photo session, I managed to take in the feeling of the place, the beautiful sunset, the cool breeze wafting smells of forests, and the sights of the valley. Then we just sat in the adjoining garden eating cotton candy, which I thought was quite good(Maybe I was hungry).





Day 2 10:00, Talakaveri:
We climb up the first flight of steps, amid the chilling winds, and the low clouds. A pleasant drizzle was upon us. To give you an idea of how much fog we were engulfed in, let me show you the picture of its entrance:




This, ladies and gentlemen, wasn’t visible at all. All of a sudden, the whole gate came into view, something very similar to the windmill on my Pune trip last September. After peering over the rails and a few pics, we went up the stairs towards the temple, which had a small pond. Different opinions on how cold the water was led to us all washing our feet in it, We went towards the view point for the valley, where Kaveri river originates. This place was really nice, cool, foggy and windy. Spending 30-45 minutes is worth here.
Do read upon the mythological background of Talakaveri, it is very interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talakaveri#Pilgrim_center

Day 2, 14:00, Abbi Falls:
This was a disappointment in my opinion. Not much to see, the falls is pretty small, and is closed to visitors. It wasn’t even a great photo location to be fair. Enigma got paint on her hands was probably the highlight of this place. Me and Beautiful got a few good pictures with the jungle background, but this place was totally underwhelming.

Day 2  15:30 Mandalpatti:
This was a place I liked a lot. A spur of the moment decision that we should take the jeep up the hill proved very fruitful in the end. I don't think anyone else regrets going there as well. Our driver suggested this place which was somewhat pricey, and seemed unworthy from his description. But we went ahead by a creaky old jeep that had no doors by the side. It was drizzling the whole way and the road was muddy. At the top, the view was sublime. Hills covered in grass as if painted green by a toddler. Clouds literally touching us. Cool winds carrying the delightful rain on grass fragrance. The most beautiful place Coorg offered by quite some distance. After clicking a few gorgeous photos, me and Enigma were kind of enjoying the place. I was enjoying the breeze in particular. Suddenly the heavens opened up. Brilliant and Kid ran quickly to the relative shelter of the jeep, with Beautiful not far behind. Me and Enigma. After ensuring that my phone was safely away from the water, we started walking back slowly. I was enjoying the rain. To be honest, I wanted to get drenched. I am not sure about Enigma, but I was thoroughly enjoying the downpour. A break from the heat I guess. It made me quite glad, which was a nice feeling.




Day 2 19:30 Homestay at Madikeri:
This is where the fun part begins. Hungry and thirsty, we ate and drank, and sang and danced. Everyone was blissfully happy and totally ignorant of what they are doing, or saying. Almost everyone except me. This bothers me. It annoys me to no end. But yeah, I did enjoy the moonlit night and the bonfire. We do have some talented dancers in our group. And some people have a great collection of songs as well. The bonfire should have continued for a while longer.




Day 3 10:00 Dubare Elephant camp:
This was fun. This was a really good way to end the trip. I thought the elephant camp itself wasn’t that fascinating, but the river crossing part was fun. Especially for me. All eyes were on me, to see if I can break my phone for the third time in three trips. Sorry to disappoint you folks, somehow I managed to take care of it this time. Joke/pain aside, it wasn’t challenging or anything: it was just different. Maybe because we were trying our own way across led by Beautiful. Not the tried and tested and crowded route the majority were taking, but a more slippery, less taken route. I am probably exaggerating here. I got a really really wonderful picture of a pink dragonfly sitting still on a rock, pointed to me by Beautiful. I am secretly very happy about this pic. The rest was smooth sailing, and on the way back, we clicked like a gazillion photos. All Shah Rukh Khan poses were on display.




Pretty much nothing to add after that. The drive back to Bangalore was calm and quiet. Some sort of satisfaction hung in the air. Everyone enjoyed the 3 days. I came back to the blackness that awaits in Hyderabad a little cheered on by the fact that it was a good trip away.


Adios!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie review: English Vinglish

I might be 6 years late, but here is my review of this Bollywood movie, starring Sridevi. Directed by Gauri Shinde, this film tackles some This film is freakin' awesome! I can't believe I hadn't watched this movie before. And if you haven't watched it, I suggest you clear out your calendar for tomorrow and grab some popcorn. This is mostly a serious movie, but the lighter moments are well placed, and make great viewing. The plot, the dialogues, the screenplay, everything is perfect. This movie is worth paying big bucks to watch on the big screen, unlike me, who watched it 6 years late on a 14 inch touchscreen. Sridevi is absolutely mesmerizing. Her acting in this movie is one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. When you watch her, her struggles become yours. You feel her happiness and sadness. You want her to do well. You want her to show the world, how much she can accomplish. Anything more I say here will be spoilers for the few people w

Going home, Pune trip and more

                Hola! Long time since I wrote anything, and here I am writing two posts. With so much happening, I have barely had time to breathe, least of all write a blog. Even today I just found time, because I am in a train, bound towards Kalyan, taking me away from Hyderabad for a deserved break from the mundane.                 I had to make an extremely difficult choice, one that I did not want to nor that agrees with my nature. But facing the truth is better than being under a delusion, only to be disappointed at the end. I cannot give keyboard exam this time. L (Sobbing inside) I am just too underprepared, and frankly, I have heavier things on my plate. The teacher thought 3 months would be enough, even I felt so. But it wasn’t meant to be. The exam comes too early for me, and I, despite wanting to, cannot practice and perfect the syllabus on time to pass the exam. Accepting this is really painful for me, especially when I don’t like giving up. What other choice do I h

New year resolutions

Belated happy new year! It is the time of the year where people set goals and targets for the year. Most fall short by the first or second month. Even I do. But my last year's resolutions were actually so good, I accomplished what I set out for: learn 2 foreign languages, Italian and French. At a basic level, but yeah, enough to survive. And some other goals too, which I did achieve satisfactorily. So what next? I have some resolutions this year too! Let me share some: Get better at piano This is compulsory. No two ways about this. For the past few months, I have become a little distant from the piano. But not anymore. I already started learning a song, one that is usually on my lips! The joy I derive from playing the piano, even if for little time, is very immense. And I already feel better. There is something magical about learning music, and at any cost, I do not want to disconnect from it. Do I have a plan? Umm… no. I have a new piano on my mind, but that depen