Skip to main content

Random unconnected stuff

Hola! How are you all? Hope everybody is pink in health. Not just health, but also wealth, relationships, ambitions and all that. It has been a long time since I published, not for the lack of writing. I actually wrote some stuff, but that didn’t come off, and I had to discard them. Not this one :P

It has been 15 months since I came to Hyderabad! Whoa. It feels like yesterday when we were staying in Silicon Ville right by the company.  More than a year has passed, prompting me to question myself, what did I do in the past year? What did I learn? Honestly, that question is embarrassing. Not many things, I answer. And some of the things I had hoped I would get done, still haven’t got off the blocks yet. But also some things I managed to do. Look on the bright side, mon ami.

I rekindled my interest in serial killer novels, but this time, with a bigger bang. Hannibal is what I am reading currently. First things first, let me tell you something. This is a great novel. The writing style, the chronology, the description of the people and places are just top notch. Maybe second only GRRM. (I may be a little biased here.) And I haven’t even praised the story yet. I am only halfway through this, but I can tell, that the story is gripping. The concept itself may be a little squeamish, and more frightening, but this is a long way from the vanilla detective fiction. Hannibal is a character, who you grow to respect out of fear. If I had more time, I would have finished this book a lot earlier.

Did I mention I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? A Herculean disappointment, if there was ever one. The story itself is very feeble, and the characters make decisions unlike themselves. The descriptions aren’t up to the mark as well. It failed to impress the majority of readers it seems, and it definitely failed to impress me. Fortunately, there are a few moments where you feel the magic. But such moments are far and few in between. After completing the book in one night, I found that JKR is a coauthor! Not one of her best creations, this one.

After a lengthy and seemingly unending international break, football resumed yesterday. All the media attention was on the clash of Guardiola and Mourinho in the Manchester derby. An estimated 650 million pounds worth of talent was on the pitch, and the match didn’t disappoint. City were very well organized, played good football, and were deserving of the win over their bitter rivals on enemy territory. United on the other hand, were clueless, Mourinho got his selection wrong, and were tactically overwhelmed. In the end they had to resort to long ball tactics to try and snatch something out of the game, but City held on. Arsenal were playing Southampton, a team that had thrashed them 4-0 last Christmas. Southampton are a very dangerous team, irrespective of form and coach. They possess some good players, and try to play some good football, which I admire. Arsenal, as usual got off to a bad start, conceding a needless freekick on the edge of the box, from which Tadic scored, courtesy some misfortune from Cech. But our captain and birthday boy, Laurent Koscielny scored an overhead bicycle goal to equalize. A defender scoring an overhead bicycle goal! To give you some context, it is like a bowler playing a 150 runs innings in a test match. And in between some controversy, Arsenal were awarded a penalty right at the end. Santi scored and Arsenal went on to collect all three points. Shkodran Mustafi and Lucas Perez were handed their debuts, and did not disappoint. Now, onto the Champions League fixture against PSG in Paris.

There is a badminton tournament at my company this week. I have participated only in the doubles as of now. But I want to give singles a shot as well. What can go wrong? I am thinking I will go and play on the spot. With any luck, I may as well clear the first round. Let us see what happens, when it happens.


Sayonara, for now. I am off to play badminton!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie review: English Vinglish

I might be 6 years late, but here is my review of this Bollywood movie, starring Sridevi. Directed by Gauri Shinde, this film tackles some This film is freakin' awesome! I can't believe I hadn't watched this movie before. And if you haven't watched it, I suggest you clear out your calendar for tomorrow and grab some popcorn. This is mostly a serious movie, but the lighter moments are well placed, and make great viewing. The plot, the dialogues, the screenplay, everything is perfect. This movie is worth paying big bucks to watch on the big screen, unlike me, who watched it 6 years late on a 14 inch touchscreen. Sridevi is absolutely mesmerizing. Her acting in this movie is one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. When you watch her, her struggles become yours. You feel her happiness and sadness. You want her to do well. You want her to show the world, how much she can accomplish. Anything more I say here will be spoilers for the few people w

Going home, Pune trip and more

                Hola! Long time since I wrote anything, and here I am writing two posts. With so much happening, I have barely had time to breathe, least of all write a blog. Even today I just found time, because I am in a train, bound towards Kalyan, taking me away from Hyderabad for a deserved break from the mundane.                 I had to make an extremely difficult choice, one that I did not want to nor that agrees with my nature. But facing the truth is better than being under a delusion, only to be disappointed at the end. I cannot give keyboard exam this time. L (Sobbing inside) I am just too underprepared, and frankly, I have heavier things on my plate. The teacher thought 3 months would be enough, even I felt so. But it wasn’t meant to be. The exam comes too early for me, and I, despite wanting to, cannot practice and perfect the syllabus on time to pass the exam. Accepting this is really painful for me, especially when I don’t like giving up. What other choice do I h

New year resolutions

Belated happy new year! It is the time of the year where people set goals and targets for the year. Most fall short by the first or second month. Even I do. But my last year's resolutions were actually so good, I accomplished what I set out for: learn 2 foreign languages, Italian and French. At a basic level, but yeah, enough to survive. And some other goals too, which I did achieve satisfactorily. So what next? I have some resolutions this year too! Let me share some: Get better at piano This is compulsory. No two ways about this. For the past few months, I have become a little distant from the piano. But not anymore. I already started learning a song, one that is usually on my lips! The joy I derive from playing the piano, even if for little time, is very immense. And I already feel better. There is something magical about learning music, and at any cost, I do not want to disconnect from it. Do I have a plan? Umm… no. I have a new piano on my mind, but that depen