Skip to main content

some updates and advice

It has been a very long time since I last wrote a post. Plenty of things have gone on in the past month, and I will lay it out in this post.
               
This person
              “This person” is a colleague of mine about whom I wanted to write a long while ago. A truly wonderful person, if you ask me. Before I describe more, I should let you know that I don’t know “this person” very well. I have formed my opinions based on my few interactions over the past few months. Now that we are done with the disclaimer, I proceed to describe “this person”. I’m not even going to bother with a physical description. The first thing that struck me about “this person” is how positive he/she is. Fantastic positive attitude and a smile on his/her face every damn time. I don’t think I have ever seen “this person” without a smile on his/her face. I know for a fact how difficult this is, having tried and failed at it miserably. And “this person’s” smile is infectious as well. Work wise, I don’t know. “This person” might be brilliant, may not be. But the most important thing is that he/she is well known and respected throughout engineering department. What “this person” does best is portray that he/she is always happy. How I wish I had that skill! I tip my hat to you, dear “this person”. You are truly an inspiration, albeit in a different sense.
               
Arsenal, keyboard, languages
                Arsenal have not been in good form lately, winless in their last two Premier League games at home! But an encouraging win against Bournemouth raised hopes of a win against the in-form Leicester City in a title 6 pointer at the Emirates. I didn’t watch the game live but only saw the replay. It was one hell of a match, a must watch live one. Nothing beats a 45th minute penalty to the away side to a dubious call by the consistently stupid referee, a superbly worked goal in the 70th minute by a substitute to spark the game into life and a 95th minute winner by a player who has been out for 10 months due to injury to seal the win in the most spectacular fashion. I so badly wished I had watched this game live. But hey, it is ok. I had fun at the movie as well.
                I made some real progress in the keyboard, finished that difficult song (BTW it was a Coldplay song; many people recognized the song while I was playing it.) Now I am onto a John Lennon song, which isn’t that difficult. Need to pick up speed though.
                I have stagnated in my quest to learn languages though. I am not really getting enough time to go through the book and Duolingo is not really going at a good pace. But on the bright side, I can understand 60% of what they say on the radio. Quite a big leap if you ask me. Italian radio has also helped diversify my music choices.
               
Novel
The Jack Reacher novel series is turning out to be quite good, I am on my third book already. There is an aura to the character that is very intriguing. He has also learned from his mistakes, which points to character evolution. Do find time to read one of Lee Child’s books from this series if you enjoy the action/thriller genre.

Depression
              Let us go into some dark stuff now. This is serious stuff. I think (I’m not sure, never am) I have been suffering from depression for the past 3-4 months (at least, though I suspect more).

How does it feel?
              It feels sad, inexplicably sad. You feel very negative. You feel like not doing anything, then feeling bad about not doing anything. This is just the beginning. Unwanted thoughts enter your head. It becomes difficult to control your temper. It changes your behavior towards others, I have experienced this myself. Activities that you used to enjoy seem dull and boring. You are fleetingly in control of your thought process and even half of those thoughts are negative, maddening and frankly alarming. My behavior towards some people has been very poor. I have been very cold towards people who were very warm to me. I haven’t got to apologize to them yet, but I plan to.

What is the cause?
              There is no definitive cause as much as I can say. Life events can trigger depression. It can happen to anyone and I don’t think anyone is truly safe.

What do you do?
                First thing is that you realize that what you are feeling is not normal. Go to a psychiatrist and get it checked. And then find someone to talk to. This is the most important part of getting out of the hole. If you think there is no one you can talk to, well, there is one person whom you can share this with
Try not to be alone. Find a hobby. Do something that keeps your mind off your worries. That is the least I can say.

Trips
            April and June are months when I am taking vacations to travel the country. The plans have been made, tickets for the April trip have been booked and I am very much looking forward to getting away from the mundane life here and enjoy completely. Let us see how it goes.

Valentine’s Day
           When I started writing this post it was Valentine’s Day. For me, it was just another Sunday. Not special by any means. I think the concept of V-day is quite stupid. I mean, every day should be V-day. Celebrate love every damn day. Why do you need a specially marked day in the calendar to tell you that you need to pamper your lady?
               
I saw the movie Deadpool on Sunday. I found it quite hilarious, though the people sitting beside didn’t feel so. The director had deviated from a winning formula and nailed it. It was totally worth the time and money. For movies like this, I can give time. Not for those standard templated Bollywood movies with no real story and humor.

I guess this is it for the week. Next week, there is the Champions League game against Barcelona. Let us see what happens there. I am not optimistic, but hey football can find ways of surprising you. Actually life finds interesting ways to surprise you. So, bye. Take care. Enjoy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie review: English Vinglish

I might be 6 years late, but here is my review of this Bollywood movie, starring Sridevi. Directed by Gauri Shinde, this film tackles some This film is freakin' awesome! I can't believe I hadn't watched this movie before. And if you haven't watched it, I suggest you clear out your calendar for tomorrow and grab some popcorn. This is mostly a serious movie, but the lighter moments are well placed, and make great viewing. The plot, the dialogues, the screenplay, everything is perfect. This movie is worth paying big bucks to watch on the big screen, unlike me, who watched it 6 years late on a 14 inch touchscreen. Sridevi is absolutely mesmerizing. Her acting in this movie is one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. When you watch her, her struggles become yours. You feel her happiness and sadness. You want her to do well. You want her to show the world, how much she can accomplish. Anything more I say here will be spoilers for the few people w

Going home, Pune trip and more

                Hola! Long time since I wrote anything, and here I am writing two posts. With so much happening, I have barely had time to breathe, least of all write a blog. Even today I just found time, because I am in a train, bound towards Kalyan, taking me away from Hyderabad for a deserved break from the mundane.                 I had to make an extremely difficult choice, one that I did not want to nor that agrees with my nature. But facing the truth is better than being under a delusion, only to be disappointed at the end. I cannot give keyboard exam this time. L (Sobbing inside) I am just too underprepared, and frankly, I have heavier things on my plate. The teacher thought 3 months would be enough, even I felt so. But it wasn’t meant to be. The exam comes too early for me, and I, despite wanting to, cannot practice and perfect the syllabus on time to pass the exam. Accepting this is really painful for me, especially when I don’t like giving up. What other choice do I h

New year resolutions

Belated happy new year! It is the time of the year where people set goals and targets for the year. Most fall short by the first or second month. Even I do. But my last year's resolutions were actually so good, I accomplished what I set out for: learn 2 foreign languages, Italian and French. At a basic level, but yeah, enough to survive. And some other goals too, which I did achieve satisfactorily. So what next? I have some resolutions this year too! Let me share some: Get better at piano This is compulsory. No two ways about this. For the past few months, I have become a little distant from the piano. But not anymore. I already started learning a song, one that is usually on my lips! The joy I derive from playing the piano, even if for little time, is very immense. And I already feel better. There is something magical about learning music, and at any cost, I do not want to disconnect from it. Do I have a plan? Umm… no. I have a new piano on my mind, but that depen